Friday, April 4, 2008

Most Influential Photographer...to me


From time to time I have been ask who has influenced me as an artist. I mention Michelangelo and Leonardo DaVinci as very big influences in the way I see the human form. But as a photographer my biggest revelation came in 1988 when I was fortunate enough to see the exhibition, "The Perfect Moment" by Robert Mapplethorpe. Viewing this exhibition with my infant daughter in a stroller, I was taken back by the freedom of expression, the beautiful lines and tones that he created. And by the sheer guts he had as an artist to shoot and print some of his works. So many people have judged him unjustly from what the press said about him after his death but until you actually see his works in person don't judge. You should visit his foundations website at http://www.mapplethorpe.org/index.html Take a look and tell me what you see.

Till next time .....

No comments: