Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mad as Hell

I was watching Boston Legal the other night and was reminded of a quote from the movie "Network", I am as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore. Great quote, in the movie it was about corruption in the TV news industry, but it resonates today with the state of our country.
I am old enough to remember Viet Nam and some of the protesting that went on in the late 60's and early 70's. I remember my denim jacket that had a patch on it, Make Love, Not War. It was right next to my Apollo 13 patch. I was 8 years old. Now we have been at war for what seems like forever, a decidedly unpopular war. I am not sure what wars are popular, but a war none the less that is ugly and tearing apart this country and others around the world. And yet I see no protests. OK, maybe the little group of women on Saturday morning with their signs, a couple hundred protesters once in a while in Washington. But nothing like the rallies of the late 60's.
As an artist I make statements in hopes that people will see them, take note and maybe change their thoughts about the war and our current state of affairs. And in that I feel like I will have done my part. I AM mad as hell, but why isn't anyone else. And if they are, why so quiet. Bruce Springsteen's newest CD has some strong anti-war songs and for a brief period of time he got some flack for it. But that has passed and the songs are still not played. The strongest song on the CD "Magic" has the refrain

"Who'll be the last to die for a mistake
The last to die for a mistake
Whose blood will spill, whose heart will break
Who'll be the last to die, for a mistake"


He got mad as hell and did his part, will you?


Last to Die Lyrics

No comments: